Here's the rough sequence of events:
- A court order is sought and obtained, preventing The Guardian reporting any details of a parliamentary question
- They post about this.
- The Spectator breaks traditional media ranks and blogs about it in more detail
- More details are found on Wikileaks
- People start tweeting the link, and adding a hashtag of the name of the company involved
- The hashtag spread virally, and becomes a trending topic on Twitter (see grab, above right)
- The mainstream media start reporting the meta-story - about the trending topic
- Alan Rusbridger tweets that the lawyers have caved.
UPDATE: Useful background on the story over on Journalism.co.uk
UPDATE 2: Fantastic piece of aggregation from Joanne, linking to coverage of Trafigura all over the web,